For the first time ever, in 2007 I kept a list of the books I read. To my surprise, given how much time I spent preparing to move, moving, and unpacking, I read 73 books. Sixteen were written by people I know in real life or whom I “know” through blogging. (Thanks, blogging friends, for good reads I might have otherwise missed!) Here’s how my year stacked up.
- fantasy, including epic poems: 18
- romance and chick lit: 10
- science fiction: 7
- historical mystery: 5
- women’s fiction (excluding romance): 3
- literary fiction: 2
- modern-day mystery: 1
- miscellaneous: 8
- writing related: 7
- history: 4
- biography: 3
- gardening and attracting birds: 3
- quilting: 2
I plan to keep a list again for 2008.
Some people have told me they set reading goals for the year. That sounded like something worth trying, so for 2008 I set three goals:
- To read Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth (which looks fascinating but has so far intimidated me with its length) and some of the other very thick books on my shelves.
- To read more books on writing—I’ll shoot for one per month.
- To catch up on some of the mystery series I’m behind on.
What about you? Do you keep a reading list? Do you set reading goals for the year? What are you looking forward to reading in 2008?