I’m behind blogging this week (and behind in visiting blogs as well, in case you were puzzled why I was suddenly so quiet). I was wondering what I could write about quickly and without much effort. As if he read my mind, Steve Malley from Full Throttle and F**k It tagged me for a meme. Thanks again, Steve.
Now, onto the meme!
What were you doing 10 years ago?
My book The Commonsense Guide to Weight Loss for People with Diabetes (co-authored with Barbara C. Hansen and published by the American Diabetes Association) had come out in April 1998, and I was still celebrating.
I was also still catching up on chores (such as balancing checkbooks and opening nonurgent mail) that I hadn’t done while working seven days a week for nine months to get that book turned in by its July 1997 deadline.
I was living in New Orleans with my current husband and two cats. Writing fiction was still a dream for the future.
Five things on your to-do list for today
- contact the person who is taking over a current client’s job and introduce myself
- polish a column due to a client on 1 July
- work on novel
- refill bird feeder
- change cat litter
- catch up on other people’s blogs for the past week
What would you do if you were a billionaire?
- The first thing I’d do is give up my nonfiction writing and editing jobs and focus solely on fiction writing.
- Second, I’d set up trust funds for college and grad school for all of my nieces and nephews.
- Third, I’d pay landscapers to design and install a beautiful pleasure garden with fountains and exotic plants and secret rooms in our yard.
- Fourth, I’d set aside some money for travel and retirement.
- Fifth, with the $990,000,000+ I’d have left, I would help rebuild New Orleans.
What are three of your bad habits?
- I’m a messy cook. I’m real glad I don’t have to clean up after me. (Sorry, Dave, that you do.)
- I don’t keep my office straightened up, so I often can’t find things I need.
- Because of my allergies, I blow my nose often and loudly.
What are some snacks you enjoy?
- Nestlé Sno-Caps and other non-pareils
- Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- Nestlé Dark Chocolate Raisinets
- chocolate-chip cookies
- ice cream with chocolate chips on top
What were the last five books you read?
- Cold in the Light by Charles Gramlich (horror/sf). I don’t want to spoil the surprises by telling you the plot; I’ll just say this is beautifully written, has an original concept, and contains may twists and turns, so hurry to Amazon.com and order it.
- The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn (romance). I had never read Julia Quinn before, but will from now on. I loved this light historical romance, and the structure and dialog were so perfect that I plan to buy another copy to mark up and study.
- Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow (sf). This classic work follows the career of Jesus’ modern-day sister, who struggles to divine (divine, get it?) her purpose in life while avoiding those who wish to exploit her gifts—or kill her for them.
- Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan (fantasy). Beneath the London of Queen Elizabeth I lies another royal court, that of the evil Queen Invidiana, who terrorizes the fae she rules and meddles in human affairs.
- The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë by Laura Joh Rowland (historical mystery). While in London on business, writer Charlotte Brontë witnesses the brutal murder of an acquaintance. When the police show little interest in solving the murder, Charlotte sets out to do it herself. This is Laura’s first mystery not set in Japan.
What are five jobs you have had?
- drugstore clerk
- worker in a military park
- lizard caretaker
- telephone operator
- temp worker
- magazine writer
- freelancer writer and editor
What are five places where you have lived?
- Beavercreek, OH
- Philadelphia, PA
- Evanston, IL
- Chicago, IL
- Iowa City, IA
- Washington, DC
- Vienna, VA
- New Orleans, LA
- Riverside, CA
I tag the following people to continue the meme:
Rae Ann Parker
Carleen Brice, the Pajama Gardener